Geauga County Archives and Records Center
Home | About the Archives | History & Research | Microfilm Program | Records Management
Records Management

Records Management | Forms & Schedules | FAQ | Packing boxes for transfer

Q: How do I transfer records to the Archives?

  1. Box your records according to the Records Storage Box Packing Instructions
  2. Fill out a Records Transfer Request Form with your name, department name, and number of boxes. List the contents of the boxes by briefly describing the records and span dates. Spaces marked Eligible for disposal and Confidential are optional. For a copy of the form click here.
  3. Send form to the Records Center for approval via mail, fax, or email.
  4. If the request has been approved for transfer, one copy of your request will be sent back to you with Archives Transfer Label Stickers and another copy will be sent to Maintenance, if they will be the ones picking up the records. Maintenance will only pick up boxes bearing transfer stickers.
  5. When your records are received, processed, and shelved, an updated database will be issued for your reference.

The Archives and Records Center is not responsible for the inability to locate or retrieve files due to inadequate labeling or packing of boxes. Questions? Please call or email Vickie , ext.1771.

Q: How long do you keep the records?

First consult your department’s approved Retention Schedule. If your department does not have one, consult the General Retention Schedule. Copies of both are kept in your Records Monster Notebook and at the Archives. Please do not destroy records without approval.

Q: What kind of boxes should I use and where do I get them?

Courtesy of Paige Box Company Records need to be stored in Standard Records Storage Boxes (12H x 12W x 15D). Before purchasing boxes, contact the Archives and Records Center to see if any are available. If none are available, we recommend purchasing from the Paige Box Company .

Q: Who “owns” the records after I transfer them?

Each department owns its own records. The Archives and Records Center is responsible for housing and managing the records.

Q: Who has access to the records?

Records are accessible to:

  • Any individual, or
  • Any department employee, or
  • Designated employees only

The elected official/department head fills out a permission form designating that one or more of the above can access their records. If it is stated on the form that their records cannot be viewed at the Archives, the patron will be sent to the department of origin. The department can request the record be sent back to them to be handled according to their procedures. Each department has the right to restrict viewing access.

Q: Can I get my records back?

Yes, records can be requested at any time. Contact the Archives by phone (ext. 1771) or fax (440-285-8207) to request records.

Q: What are your hours?

The Archives is open to the public 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday.


For comments and suggestions, email Clair Wilson
Website created by Clair Wilson
© 2012
Updated October 10, 2013