Requirements for Residential Building Permits

Requirements for Residential Building Permits

New Dwelling

  1. Driveway permit with address - extension 1800
  2. Zoning permit (Township or Village)
  3. Septic permit - extension 1900
  4. Sewer permit - extension 1970
  5. MEC check (Model Energy Code Sheet)
  6. Residential Code of Ohio Construction Document Requirements
  7. 1 (one) complete set of detailed building plans


  1. Zoning permit
  2. 1 (one) complete set of building plans
  • Permits are required for any residential building greater than 200 square feet.
  • Permits are required for decks on residential property.

Geauga Soil and Water Conservation District

Submittal and approval of a Water Management and Sediment Control Plan is required when one of the following conditions exist

  1. Earth disturbance of over one acre; or
  2. Construction on a lot within a subdivision; or
  3. Construction of over 300 square feet within the townships of Auburn, Bainbridge, Chester, Newbury, Munson, Russell, and Thompson

Please refer to and go to the Construction Sites tab and download the Geauga County Water Management and Sediment Control Regulations, Amended 2009 for a complete list of plan requirements and calculations.
Location:  14269 Claridon-Troy Road. Burton, Ohio 44021
Phone:  (440) 834-1122
Fax:  (440) 834-0316